Crispy Almond Thins (杏仁瓦片)

Every time I go to a Chinese bakery, I ALWAYS take a quick glance at these crispy almond thins, secretly sigh and then walk away. I can probably count the number of times I've ever purchased these on one hand. I LOVE these crispy almond thins (that's why you are reading a recipe post about how they are made), but usually they are $3.50 or $4.00 for a tiny bag of 4 crisps, hence buying them feels like a huge splurge. A while ago I visited a Chinese bakery and did my usual (look at them, sigh, and then walk away), when suddenly it hit me: "Why don't I try making these?!". Returning home, I excitedly looked up some recipes and plotted my own almond crisp baking event (I confess, trying new baked good recipes gives me a real thrill). I was also equally delighted to note that several of the bakers share the same sentiment about going to a bakery, looking at them, sighing and walking away due to cost! Now that I've made these a few times, I understand why they are so pricey at bakeries, because almond slices are not cheap. Nevertheless, they are so simple to make (and good!) that there's no need to sigh at bakeries anymore. Better yet, you still save money by baking these at home, AND they are not as sweet as the bakery ones. They are also great as gifts. I've tried several versions, and this is my favorite so far.

CRISPY ALMOND THINS
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 egg whites
  • 50g (1/2 Cup) powdered sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt 
  • 25g (1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons) unsalted butter, melted
  • 40g (1/3 Cup) cake flour
  • 110g (1 1/4 Cup) shelled almond slices 

 INSTRUCTIONS
makes about fifteen 3" crisps

  1. Separate the eggs. Add egg whites, powdered sugar, salt to a mixing bowl and whisk until foamy. 
  2. Sift in cake flour and whisk until no more clumps are present.
  3. Mix in melted butter mix.
  4. Add the almond slices and mix gently with a spatula until incorporated, being careful not to break the almond slices as you mix.
  5. Cover mixing bowl with a cling wrap, and allow the mixture to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 300F, line baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop 1 tablespoon amounts of the chilled batter onto the sheets, about 9 Tablespoon worth to a pan.
  7. Prepare a shallow dish with water, moisten your finger in it, and spread the batter with your finger and the spatula by gently patting and spreading outward into a 3" circle. Repeat for all scoops of batter.
  8. Bake at 300F for 25-30 minutes, rotating pan about half-way through baking. The thinner you spread the batter, the quicker they bake, and also the crispier they are. Towards the end of the baking check frequently. The crisps should be golden in color.
  9. Transfer immediately to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature. 
Note: store in airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or in airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

 PICTORIAL INSTRUCTIONS
Separate the whites and yolk. Add powdered sugar and salt to the egg whites and whisk until foamy.
Sift cake flour and whisk until no more clumps, add melted butter and whisk. Add almond slices and mix gently with a spatula and cover with cling wrap. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.   
Scoop about 1 Tablespoon full of batter and drop on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using wet fingers and the spatula, gently spread and pat the almond crisps outward to form a circle about 3" in diameter. I fit about 9 almond crisps to a pan. Bake at 300F for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway, until the crisps are golden. Transfer immediately to a cooling rack.
Enjoy! But they taste better when shared with a friend :)



Recipe adapted from icook




















Comments

Popular Posts