Toffee Chip Chocolate Icebox Cookies

Ever since my large oven broke, it's been challenging to bake drop cookies as my toaster oven only fits about 4-6 cookies depending on how large the drop cookies are. A regular recipe usually makes 24 cookies which means I needed to make the cookies 4-6 times! And since I only have one sheet pan, I have to wait for the pan with the first batch of cookies to cool and crisp up on the bottom before baking another one...it takes forever! However, I've since discovered the beauty of icebox cookies are they are small (about 1" diameter) which means I can make almost the entire batch of dough at once, and the fact that the cookies are shaped into a rectangular log, chilled, and then sliced makes them super easy. I recently experimented with a batch for chocolate icebox cookies as favors for my birthday party and got many positive remarks. The original recipe adds toasted pistachio in the cookies for crunch, but since I didn't have any on hand, I added toffee chips and they were a big hit. I hope you will enjoy the results too!


INGREDIENTS
  • 50g Milk Chocolate Chips (I used Ghiradhelli Milk Chocolate Chips)
  • 110g Unsalted Butter
  • 50g Sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 160g Cake Flour
  • 10g Cocoa Powder (I used Ghiradhelli 100% Cocoa)
  • 40g Almond Flour
  • 30g Toffee Chips

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Melt Milk Chocolate Chips with one of the following methods and allow to cool.
    • Microwave Method: Heat milk chocolate chips in microwave safe container at medium power (50%) for 30s-1 minute. Remove and stir. Continue heating at 30s intervals until completely melted
    • Stove top method: Place chocolate chips in double boiler over gently simmering (not boiling) water. Stir chips constantly until completely melted. Make sure bottom of the bowl that chocolate chips are in do not touch the water.
  2. Mix dry ingredients (cake flour, almond flour, and cocoa powder) together.
  3. Place softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with paddle attachment (or use regular electric beater) and beat until mixture is white and fluffy.
  4. Add melted chocolate from step 1 (make sure the chocolate has cooled) and mix well.
  5. Add dry ingredients (from step 2) and mix on low speed (or with rubber spatula) until the mixture roughly comes together into a dough.
  6. Add toffee chips and mix until incorporated (do not overmix)
  7. Shape the dough into two rectangular logs about 1.5" wide, wrap in a seran wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
  8. Preheat oven to 335F
  9. Remove the chilled dough from the fridge, take it out of the wrap and slice into 1/4" slices. 
  10. Place cookie slices on baking pan lined with parchment/silpat. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pan half way through baking (I usually do 8 minutes first, then rotate and bake for another 7)
  11. Optional: For extra crispy cookies (and since Houston is extremely humid), I will turn down the oven to 250F and bake for another 15-20minutes. 
  12. Enjoy! Store in airtight container for up to 7 days.

Comments

Popular Posts